Born on May 2, 1992 in Big Fork, MT
Arrived at Mission: Wolf on July 1, 1992
Passed away on April 4, 2008

Sex: Male
Lived with Peaches

Sabretooth’s full name was Gandolf Sabretooth, lovingly called “Tooth” by those at the refuge. He was born on a game farm and his litter was sold for use in a wolf documentary. The producer only wanted three of the five puppies, so “Tooth” and his sister Passion came to live at Mission: Wolf. He had been named Gandolf but earned Sabretooth when he was picked up at four weeks old. On the way to the refuge, staff stopped at a grocery store to get chicken to feed Sabretooth and his sister, Passion. He was so fearful of the food being taken away that he frantically buried his tiny fangs into the side of the staff’s fingers down to the bone. After that, he was fed from a metal pan.

The young “Tooth” traveled with the Ambassador Wolf Program, even though he was wary of strangers, he loved traveling. His favorite part was exploring new places when he was taken out for exercising. By the age of three, “Tooth” and his mate Peaches retired from traveling and moved into the staff kitchen enclosure together. They spent the next ten years living together at the refuge, basking in the attention of visitors. Peaches often climbed atop the kitchen on the roof to howl. She kept watch over the refuge and told “Tooth” when visitors or food was approaching. They were two of the happiest and most outgoing wolves we have ever met.

Peaches passed away from old age at Easter time in 2006. This left “Tooth” shell shocked, lonely and scared. He wasn’t sure what to do with his life long companion gone. Raven, a beautiful female black British Colombian and arctic wolf mix moved in with Sabretooth. But, since Sabretooth was older and grumpier, he did not appreciate Raven’s younger energy. She finally moved to an enclosure next to “Tooth” so that they could visit and spend time together but each have their own space.

“Tooth” continued to bask in the sun and wait for an occasional bone but his body began to wear out and walking became more difficult as time moved along. On the morning of April 6, 2008, he passed away in comfort and peace so that he could run in the fields with Passion as he always intended.